In a shock upset of 21st century engineering norms, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has produced a laptop or computer that is, in reality, really huge. The Frontier supercomputer is also massive to match in a pocket or a backpack, like modern most preferred pcs, and it is also much too significant to healthy in a mid-tower Pc situation, which can easily hold an RTX 3090. How considerably larger could a computer system really need to be?
Significantly more substantial, insists Oak Ridge National Laboratory. ORNL’s Frontier (opens in new tab) has been heralded as the “1st accurate exascale equipment,” setting a file for overall performance of 1.02 exaflops for each second on a high-efficiency benchmark. An exaflop is a person quintillion floating position functions per second, and if you are not positive how huge a quintillion is, it is really a million million thousands and thousands, aka a billion billions. NASA estimates that the Milky Way is one particular quintillion kilometers across.
So, quite huge.
Frontier set the exaflop file employing AMD’s 64-core 2GHz Epyc processors, which you can invest in on your own for only $8,000 or so. But you will have to have a couple of of them, simply because the Frontier has a full of 8,730,112 cores.
That’s 136,408 AMD Epyc processors. This computer system is unfashionably substantial: it will not fit underneath your desk, or even in your property unless of course you knock down a number of walls or have a a great deal even bigger dwelling than I do.
The Frontier supercomputer is also remarkably effective irrespective of filling up a number of server banking institutions, every bigger than Andre the Huge. Frontier is now #1 on the Best 500 supercomputer record and the Green 500, which charges for efficiency for every watt.
Right here are some more huge numbers:
- Frontier can take up 7,300 square ft.
- Frontier circulates about 6,000 gallons of drinking water per moment to continue to be neat.
- Frontier “at this time has obtained 1.102 Exaflop/s using 8,730,112 cores. The new HPE Cray EX architecture brings together 3rd Gen AMD Epyc CPUs optimized for HPC and AI with AMD Intuition 250X accelerators and Slingshot-11 interconnect.”
- “This procedure is equipped to make a whopping 1.102 Exaflop/s HPL benchmark score though retaining its electrical power effectiveness at 55.23 gigaflops/watt”
- “The system to declare the No. 1 place for the Environmentally friendly 500 is the Frontier Test & Enhancement Program (TDS). With 120,832 full cores and an HPL benchmark of 19.2 PFlop/s, the Frontier TDS equipment is basically just one particular rack equivalent to the true Frontier process. Therefore, it helps make perception that it is outmatched by Frontier’s 7,733,248 cores and HPL benchmark of 1.102 Exaflop/s. Having said that, Frontier TDS has some extraordinary effectiveness capabilities, with a electricity effectiveness of 62.8 gigaflops/watt.”
- Andre the Huge was 7 feet, 4 inches tall and weighed 520 lbs .. Sq. footage unidentified.