As the world of video games continues to grow, so does the need for talented programmers. Game development is a complex process that requires the use of specific programming languages to create the code that makes games function.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the best programming languages for game development, and discuss the different types of games that can be developed using each language.
- What Is Gaming Development?
- About Game Engines
- The Best Programming Languages for Game Development
- Which Programming Language Should a Beginner Start with for Game Development?
- Best Programming Language for Simple Games
- Best Programming Languages for Complicated Games
What Is Gaming Development?
Gaming development is the process of designing, creating, and coding a game. This process can be done in various ways depending on the type of game and the size of the development team.
There are many different types of games:
- text based, 2D, 3D, and real-time
- single-player and multiplayer
- focused on the graphic design, the story line, or the gameplay mechanics
… But you surely know all of that, so let’s see how to actually develop games!
About Game Engines
We’ll be mentioning game engines a lot throughout this article, so let’s say that a game engine is a software development environment designed for people to build video games. It provides a framework for game developers to work in, and can be used to create both 2D and 3D games.
There are too many to list them all, but here are some of the ones we’ll mention:
|Amazon Lumberyard||Star Citizen, Squadron 42, New World||Proprietary||C++, Lua (scripting)||Native support for Amazon Web Services, which makes it easy to deploy games|